“I can’t wait to do this for real!”
—Race 2013 participant
Each race program is inspired by the intense language survey trips conducted by linguists in remote regions worldwide. Four-member teams race against time and other teams in a rugged wilderness setting: hiking, climbing, paddling, and biking to various challenge points. Each challenge tests team unity, communication, wilderness acumen, and linguistic skills.
The race culminates with a final challenge located in a remote “Bibleless village.” Upon contact, teams share an ethnic meal with villagers. They conduct a simulated language survey, then race to the finish with valuable linguistic data. Prizes are awarded for the most money raised, fastest team across the finish line, linguistic challenges, and more. Each night, veteran missionaries engage racers’ hearts and minds with stories of lives transformed as a result of Bible translation and the support solutions that make it possible.
Each team consists of four racers who want to have a part in multiplying—worldwide—the impact of Bible translation. Racers must be at least 16 years old. A registration fee, based on location, is required to cover housing, meals, and race activities. Individuals are welcome to sign up a part from a team. We will supply additional teammates to make the race a possibility for you.
Racers commit to the following goals:
- Build a team of four to race against time and other teams in demanding physical and linguistic challenges. If you can’t form your own team, don’t worry. Sign up and we will find a team for you.
- Pray for endurance to “run the race set before us.” To carry the Bible translation baton to the finish line. Invite others to pray for the Bibleless as the team competes.
- Commit to a fundraising goal of $2,000 per team ($500 per racer). We provide materials to help each member and team meet this goal. At minimum, team members will send letters and/or emails that describe the race and its goals to family and friends. If a team doesn’t raise the entire amount, they can still compete in the race. The funds racers raise will help sponsor a different project each year. For more information on a race project, check out a specific race location.
- Continue to advocate for the Bibleless after the race.
The Scripture Websites in Heart Languages project sponsors workshops where mother-tongue speakers/translators can learn how to create Scripture websites. On these unique websites people can find, read, listen, and watch Scripture and Bible stories—all in their own languages. Racers will help multiply the impact of Bible translation in 2017–2018 by sponsoring these websites.
Race for Possible seeks to engage people collectively and individually in the transformative work of language development and Bible translation.
- Increased awareness of the plight of roughly 700 million people who have little-to-no Scripture in the language they understand best.
- The vision for missions spread across the United States, fostering a close, interconnected community passionate for the least reached and God’s heart for the nations.
- Financial support for the Scripture Websites in Heart Languages project
- Opportunities for individuals to take next steps in the global Bible translation movement—as advocates, intercessors, interns, and long-term missionaries.